ap human geography textbook 9th grade pdf : No matter whether the Human Geography Exam is your first experience with AP tests or just one of several, it is important to know what you will face when the day of the examination comes. So let’s start with an overview of the exam format. The AP Human Geography Examination is approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes long, and it is divided into two basic parts:
- 75 multiple-choice questions (60 minutes allowed; 50% of the exam grade)
- 3 free-response questions (75 minutes allowed; 50% of the exam grade)
ap human geography textbook 9th grade pdf
The multiple-choice questions cover all the topics listed on the following page in the same proportion as indicated. The questions are challenging. Some points to keep in mind about the multiple-choice section are:
On the exam, the College Board no longer subtracts one-fourth of the number of questions answered incorrectly from the number of questions answered correctly. So if you have no idea how to answer a question, you might as well choose an answer since there is no penalty for guessing.
- Some questions are based on charts, photographs, and maps, so it is important to carefully consider the visual information provided, including the title and the two axes of a chart or graph. Sometimes these questions just require that you read the chart correctly, but sometimes you must also have some content knowledge in order to answer correctly.
• Be prepared for EXCEPT, NOT, and LEAST questions, such as “All of the following are physical site characteristics of a location EXCEPT:” These are sometimes called “reverse multiple-choice questions,” and they require you to identify the only incorrect answer. These questions take practice because you must reverse your thinking practices in order to answer them correctly.
- This book has multiple-choice questions that follow each section of the review, as well as 75 multiplechoice questions in each of the two sample exams at the end. The questions are very similar to those that you will encounter on the College Board exam.
- In the free-response section, you must answer ALL three equally weighted questions, and you should spend approximately 25 minutes on each one. The questions may concentrate on one topic, but often they require you to interrelate concepts from different areas.
- Some of the questions are based on stimulus materials – such as maps, charts, graphs, diagrams, or photographs. There are no formal time divisions among the free-response questions. Instead, a total of 75 minutes is allotted to answer all of them, so it is important to keep up with the time, and not spend so long on one question that you don’t have time to complete the others.
- Be sure to answer all parts of each question. Your response will be graded according to a rubric that assigns a certain number of points to each section of the question.
Generally, multiple-choice questions are distributed among these seven topic areas within the percentage
- Geography: Its Nature and Perspectives = 5-10%
- Population = 13-17%
- Cultural Patterns and Processes = 13-17%
- Political Organization of Space = 13-17%
- Agricultural and Rural Land Use = 13-17%
- Industrialization and Economic Development = 13-17%
- Cities and Urban Land Use = 13-17%
As you can see, six of the seven topic areas are weighted exactly the same, so it is important to study all areas as equally as possible.
AP Human Geography: A Study Guide is designed to help you prepare for the exam by giving you a sound footing in human geography concepts and topics. Your best preparation for the exam is to know your stuff. The questions do require reading and writing skills, but the surer you are of the material, the more likely you are to answer the questions correctly.
This book provides the concepts and information, as well as plenty of practice questions that will prepare you for the exam. Most importantly, I hope that you learn something about human geography, and that you learn to love it, too!
A Note from the Author
Why Human Geography?
I taught social studies classes for many years, mostly at Princeton High School in Princeton, New Jersey. Like most social studies teachers, my experience included classes in United States history and government. I have also published review books, textbooks, readers, and web materials that have required me to do extensive research in various types of American studies. Needless to say, I believe that an education in these areas is incredibly important for high school students, and every secondary curriculum should include them. So why is human geography so important?
The 21st century has taught us that we cannot ignore the world around us. Happenings around the globe now directly impact our lives, and social studies teachers and students around the country face the challenge of interpreting a complex, interactive world. The AP human geography course focuses on spatial organization – the location of places, people, and events, and the connections among places and landscapes that shape virtually all human endeavors on the planet.
It is my hope that this book will help students to grasp something of the complexities of our global environment, and gain some understanding of geographic commonalities and differences. In today’s world, we cannot afford not to know.
Get More: Get more textbooks for your class
Dear students, collect the ap human geography textbook 9th grade pdf 2022 by clicking the download button above. If you have difficulty downloading, inbox on our Facebook page. Students can SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel to get notes and suggestions on other topics.